Electric fences for dogs are a great way to keep your pet safe and secure in your yard, especially for tending to escape and stubborn dogs. These systems are usually more efficient than any physical fence.
However, there are a few things you need to know before you purchase one of these fences. In this article, we will discuss the different types of electric fences available and what you should look for when purchasing one. We will also describe how the wireless dog fence work and the best options for electric pet fences for dog owners. So how can pet parents choose the best electric dog fence?
Types of Electric Dog Fences
There are two main types of electric dog fences: in-ground and wireless.
- In-ground (or underground) dog fences are the most common type of fence used. They consist of a wire that is buried around the perimeter of your property. The wire is connected to a transmitter that emits a signal. When your dog approaches the boundary, the dog collars they are wearing will receive the signal and emit a warning beep. If your dog continues past the boundary, he or she will receive a mild shock.
- Wireless fences are becoming more popular because they are easier to install and do not require any digging. With a wireless fence, you simply set up the transmitter unit in your home and choose a boundary radius. The transmitter emits a signal that is received by the collar your dog is wearing. When your dog approaches the boundary, he or she will receive a warning beep. If your dog continues past the boundary, he or she will receive a mild shock.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing an Electric Dog Fence
There are a few factors you need to consider before purchasing a dog invisible fence.
- First, you need to decide which type of invisible dog fence system is right for you, considering the area and the number of dogs you have. If you have a large property, a ground dog fence may be the best option. If you have a smaller property or do not want to deal with burying wires, a wireless fence may be the better option.
- Second, you need to make sure the fence you purchase is compatible with your dog’s collar. Some collars are not compatible with all types of fences. Check on the battery life of the electric dog fence, too.
- Third, you need to decide how much you are willing to spend on an electric fence. A ground dog fence tends to be less expensive than a wired one, but the installation and maintenance of an underground dog fence might be not too easy or affordable.
Best Electric Fence for Dogs: Our Favourites
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of the most convenient-to-use, efficient, and handy invisible dog fences to suit your needs and budget.
Most Versatile: Petsafe Wireless Fence System
Wireless PetSafe fence is a totally adjustable circular perimeter is produced by the 17.5 kHz radio signal. It can create a boundary with a 90-foot radius in all directions, giving it a maximum diameter of 180 feet, or half an acre. The transmitter may be placed so that your dog has access to both the front and back yards, or just one.
To get started, just power on the main transmitter unit and set your circular diameter range. No digging, no cables, and no trouble.
Because the receiver collar is water-resistant, you may let your dog out while it's raining.
The static correction will stop working after 30 seconds if your dog does manage to cross the boundary line. This electric dog fence won't turn on once more for another five minutes.
You can actually link many yards together using numerous transmitters, allowing the dog neighbors to join forces for even more secure play areas for their pets! Where the two circle bounds meet, they will overlap, fusing the two regions together.
The PetSafe wireless dog fence system is portable in case you decide to move. While you'll need to re-train your dog to help him comprehend new boundaries, all you need to do is disconnect the central unit, grab the receiver collars, and you're good to go.
Simply purchase more collars to use these wireless dog fences with several canines.
- Complete Circular Perimeter Adjustment.
- Easy installation.
- Adjustable correction options.
- Waterproof invisible dog fence systems.
- Automatic shut-off.
- Connecting multiple yards.
- Portable device.
- Works with a variety of dogs.
- Only offers a circular perimeter area; the perimeter cannot be square or rectangular.
- According to some owners, the limits are erratic.
- The collar might be triggered by electronic gadgets.
Great Bundle: WIEZ GPS Virtual Smart Fence
It couldn't be simpler to set up this intelligent fence; all you have to do is grip the collar while circling your yard. WIEZ GPS Wireless dog fence is the most convenient option because of its simple installation.
The waterproof collar fits medium to big canines and may be charged for up to 8 hours of tracking or 36 hours of captivity.
Whether you're at home or on the road, you may customize the size and form of the safe confinement area you choose.
Choose a location between 98 ft and 3380 ft. Three GPS networks are used by the WIEZ system to provide flawless accuracy and consistency.
Get notified and even track your Houdini dog from your phone if he breaches the confinement barrier.
WIEZ is unusual in that it employs two sets of audible tones before providing an optional static correction.
- Customizable and portable.
- Large range.
- Dependable accuracy.
- Up to 3380 ft range.
- Free connectivity.
- The device is transportable.
- The corresponding mobile application offers a pleasant tracking and monitoring interface.
- It's pricey.
- Large areas work considerably better than little areas.
- Currently, only medium-sized to giant dogs may use it.
Water Resistant Features: SportDOG
Sportdog's invisible fence system can cover up to 100 acres of land and may be enlarged to cover up to 1/3 of an acre of land, making it more costly than conventional fences. The battery life is great and may be used for up to two months and just requires a two-hour charge to be fully functional. With this fence, you may take your dog to swimming lessons as the collar can be submerged up to 25 feet.
In addition, this collar contains a vibration warning and a tone warning in addition to seven static stimulation levels to assist you in teaching your dog to stay inside its bounds. This kit comes with wires and flags that you may place wherever to provide your dog with a visual cue. Sporting dogs benefit greatly from high-power equipment.
- Technology using DryTek.
- Submersible and waterproof.
- Suitable for a large number of dogs.
- Seven layers of simulation on the dog's collar.
- More expensive than alternative solutions, but worthwhile.
Energy-Efficient: Wireless PetSafe Stay + Play Fencing
The product is quite similar to the older models of PetSafe invisible electric fence. It's one of the best wireless dog fences. The main changes are that this device can emit a bigger diameter and uses rechargeable collar units rather than batteries.
You can select a sound-only correction or one of five levels of static correction.
Comes with a waterproof receiver collar unit so you won't need to come up with a backup strategy when it rains.
The static correction will stop working if your dog crosses the line after 15 seconds.
You may create an extra-large concealed dog fence by connecting several yards (or other sizable areas) together using numerous transmitters.
This device is portable, much like the other wireless dog fences mentioned above, making it ideal for pet owners who are constantly on the road. The device may be used with dogs weighing 5 pounds or more.
- Automatic shut-off.
- Connecting multiple yards.
- Suitable for smaller dogs.
- Can connect multiple dog collars.
- Portable system.
- It may not be the easiest option to adjust.
Price And Quality Choice: OKPET Wireless Dog Fence System
Consider using Okpet to establish a solid and dependable border around your playful dog. OKPET is an extremely safe kind of dog containment system, and it's also FCC-approved. The host may be placed everywhere in your home because it has a high penetration capacity.
Additionally, the signals are strong enough to reach your dog regardless of his position.
One wireless dog fence main unit, two dog collar receivers, training flags, test lights, power adapters, charging cables, mounting screws, and conductive posts are all included in the fencing set. Since this kit is ready to use right out of the box, no time is lost.
Additionally, it includes instructions to make it simple and quick to put together and place in your yard.
- A greatly usable kit.
- Easily assembled and adjusted.
- Strong signal.
- Can be used for a number of dogs.
- Good for large dogs.
- If the host is off, the receiver doesn't shock the dog.
Top Choice For Smaller Dogs: The Patriot PE2 Dog Electric Fence
Patriots' electric fence provides ample room for your dog to enjoy the outdoors and includes a charger and a 250-foot spool of premium aluminum wire. To avoid moisture seeping into the wire joints during the installation of this electric fence, it is preferable to seal the wire junctions with tar, epoxy, or thick paint. It is a good option for little dogs because it includes an aluminum wire with Fi-Shock technology and a maximum output voltage of 5 kV. Your dog will be easily kept inside the perimeter while other wild creatures are kept out by this invisible dog fence system.
Setting this up in damp soil is preferable for the greatest outcomes since moist soil conducts electricity better than dry dirt. Overall, it will make it easier for you to train your dog. Much better than a physical fence!
- Included manual for simple setup.
- Allows for an infinite number of pets.
- If the dog breaks through the fence, the shock is not too strong.
- Doesn't work for large dogs.
Totally Adjustable: PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable Underground Dog Fence
By relocating the "warning zone" outside of your property line, the YardMax covers a larger area and offers 30% more useable yard space than the other product.
Wireless collars are another feature of these underground fences, and you may designate "no-go zones" around any indoor or outdoor items you wish to keep your pet away from.
Your dog has more space to play in your yard since the warning zone of this ground dog fence is located after the boundary zone rather than before it. Your dog could be able to cross the boundary with other units. With this kind of ground dog fence, your dog cannot cross the line and will instead be chastised until he enters the yard or until 15 seconds have passed.
This device works with as many collars as you like, making it ideal for households with many pets.
- Rechargeable batteries will ultimately save you money (and hassles).
- Adaptable to a number of dogs.
- Capable of creating a containment zone that is fairly vast (10 acres) (with purchase of additional wire)
- You are able to create no-go areas for your dog.
- Costlier than a traditional ground dog fence.
- Installation is challenging, as it is with any wired device.
If you want to give your pet more freedom, try PetSafe Free to Roam Wireless Fence.
Most Affordable Wireless Option: Pawious GPS Dog Fence Collar
The most modern method of pet confinement is the Pawious GPS Dog Fence Training Collar system, the most versatile specimen of wireless dog fences.
You'll set it up by using a GPS satellite to determine your yard's borders. In order to prevent him from entering the invisible boundary region, your dog will subsequently wear a sophisticated GPS computer collar with a collar receiver.
The Pawious GPS is necessary to be installed within the GPS limits for your computer's invisible dog fence in place of an actual underground wire. A unique GPS collar that connects to the main base computer is worn by your pet.
Without having to deal with wire, you can totally create your yard borders with the GPS device. There is no upper limit on size, providing you complete control over the perimeter. The fence is compatible with all types of landscapes, unlike some other invisible fencing systems that cannot manage uneven terrain or sloped yards.
The maximum radius is 1000 Yards which is greater than most of the similar options on the market.
- You may designate no-go areas within your house to keep your dog safe.
- Compatible with the company's collar-activated pet doors
- Dispenses with the need for wire and lets you adjust yard boundaries
- 1000 Yards radius
- Not all regions are currently covered by GPS wireless dog fence
Best Electric Fence for Dogs: Our Verdict
An invisible dog fence can become the best device for you to confine your pet to your territory and ensure the safety of your furball better than physical fencing. There are some things to consider while making a choice for this gadget, such as the size of your yard, the number of dogs you have, the ease of installation, and some additional features such as the ability to cover several collars, the water resistance, and some other adjustable settings.
If you want a versatile and adjustable fence system: You should take a look at Wireless PetSafe fence and their Free to Roam Wireless Fence.
If you want a kit to use for several pets and a lot of customization: Virtual Smart Fence From SpotOn.
If you have a lot of moisture in your yard: The waterproof SportDOG invisible fence systems will become your best choice.
If you want to find the option with the greatest value: OKPET Wireless Dog Fences are the ones you need.
If you need some additional settings and adjustable features: PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable Ground Dog Fence is the one you are looking for.
If you are looking for the best wireless dog fence: GPS 2.0 Invisible Fence Dog Fence is your best wireless helper.
We hope that this article will become your ultimate guide which will prove useful for any pet parent!